frequently asked questions...

How do I get there?

If traveling NORTH on Interstate 91- take exit 14 marked Thetford, VT.  At the end of the exit, turn left onto 113, go up hill and proceed about 5 miles to Post Mills, VT. After passing small store (Bakers) and gas station on right, turn RIGHT on Rte. 244. One mile on the right is Camp Billings and Lake Fairlee.

If traveling SOUTH on Interstate 91- take exit 15 marked Fairlee, VT. Take left at end of exit and 300 feet later take a right unto Route 5 South.  Proceed about 2 miles to Ely, VT. At the bottom of a large hill take a right onto 244.  It is about 4 miles to camp on your left.

Lake Fairlee and Camp Billings can be reached from Central Vermont by traveling Rt. 113 East from Chelsea, VT., to Post Mills. Take left on Route 244, and about one mile to Camp Billings on right.

Looking for a place to stay nearby? Check out our lodging guide.

Can my child request to bunk with a friend?

We allow cabinmate requests from first-year campers only.  They may request one friend at the time of registration and it must be a mutual request.  The campers must be within one year of each other in age. We will do our best to honor these requests.

Can I email or call my child during the session?

Our office and infirmary phones and computers are for emergency and business use only.  Parents may not call, fax or email campers or ask campers to call or email them.   We will talk with parents and deliver important messages.  We encourage you to write lots of letters.  Campers love mail!


Can I visit my child during the session?

Visiting days, Saturdays and Sundays, are held every two weeks on the weekends that campers are departing and arriving at camp.  Parents wishing to take their children out of camp may do so only after informing the camp office and the child’s counselor.  Two-week campers are not permitted to have visitors during the session.  If a camper is attending more than one session and does not have a visitor on visiting day they may be brought to the office for a pre-arranged call from home.

Does my child need any spending money at camp?

We ask that you leave $25 for their account per session to pay for photos, camp store items, and cabin parties.

Do I have the option of early registration?

Registration materials will be available by December 1.  Former campers, siblings, alumni children and Vermont/New Hampshire residents have the option of early registration until January 1.  These campers will be registered immediately, in the order in which the registration form and fees are received, providing spaces exist.  After January 1, all remaining spaces will be made available to both former and new campers on a first-come, first-serve basis.

How do I register my child for Camp Billings?

A parent must complete a separate registration form for each child.  The registration form must be filled out completely and signed.  A check or money order for the deposit must accompany the registration form.  The tuition deposit is $500 per session.  Reservations cannot be held without correct payment of the deposit.  Registration forms and payment should be mailed to the following address:

Marianne St-Laurent – registrar
311 VT Rte 244
Fairlee, VT 05045

We do not accept telephone, email or faxed reservations.

What is your refund policy?

Once your child is registered for camp the tuition deposit and registration fee are nonrefundable in all cases.  We will give a partial refund of tuition less tuition deposit if written notification of cancellation is received at least one month before the start of the session the camper is to attend or written notice from a doctor certifying illness or accident is received.  In all other cases there will be no refund of tuition unless the camp is able to fill the vacancy.

Does my child need a physical?

All campers must have a medical exam during the 24 months prior to their arrival at camp.  The camp health forms must be fully completed every year and signed by the parent, camper and health care provider.  The health forms must be returned to the registrar by June 1.

Can campers arrive at camp by public transportation?

We will pick up and drop off campers from the airport in West Lebanon, New Hampshire and from the bus station in White River Junction, Vermont.  They are both 30 minutes from camp.  The office will need to know of the camper’s arrival at least five days in advance.  There will be an $80 round trip fee for picking up and returning campers to public transportation.  All campers traveling to camp via public transportation must arrive on the day that their camp session begins and leave on the day that their camp session ends.

What are meals like?

Our meals are typical camp fare, including corn dogs, macaroni and cheese, vegetable stir-fry, spaghetti and meat sauce, bagels and muffins, eggs, bacon, and pancakes with real Vermont maple syrup. We serve lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and offer a lunchtime salad bar three to four days per week. We strive to provide well-balanced meals that will give both campers and staff the energy to participate in an active day of program. Our dining hall is rowdy and fun, with lots of table banging and singing. Campers sit with their cabinmates and counselors and take turns waiting on the table.

What kind of duties do campers have?

To teach our campers about responsibility and service to others, campers are expected to participate in camp and cabin duties: cleaning the dining hall, the toilets, and the grounds, washing the dishes, watering the flowers, bailing the boats, sweeping their cabin floor and taking out the trash. We truly are a big family where everyone pitches in to help.

Do you have a counselor-in-training program?

Once your child is too old to be a camper, perhaps they will take advantage of our terrific counselor-in-training program. CIT's spend two years learning how to work with children and run programs. Many of our current counselors have come through our CIT program and represent the best of the best.